Monday, December 3, 2007

Progress on the hobo bag and a Legal Adult update

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes about The Legal Adult. Your words and prayers have meant much. The Pickle and Rockstar accompanied me to the airport to drop big brother off. I haven't flown since before 9/11, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. We weren't allowed to wait in the terminal with him. That really reeked because we hadn't said our goodbyes. Imagine saying goodbye in front of the security guards and a bunch of people waiting in line behind you...it wasn't the way I wanted to say goodbye. But we did see him through security and I gave him the sign language sign for I love you. He did the same, held it to his heart, and reached out in my direction. I was absolutely FINE until he did that. The next thing I know, the tears finally showed up. Oh, I wasn't sad for him, I was feeling wretched for me. I've done this with him before but this time, I knew it would be awhile before I saw him again. He called me when he landed, and he's doing well. Anyway, thanks again for your support!

I want to show you what I did with my thanksgiving break.
It was my first time trying to bead anything, so I read up on it online.




I bought most of the beads from
Michael's.



I used fishing line to attach the beads. It's not like from the tackle shop, just check the beading area of your
Michael's or Hobby Lobby.







The best thing I found was a needle with a collapsible eye. Really saves your sanity.

6 comments:

Angela said...

I just love the bead work. It really gives that extra umph to this:-). Great job on it too. I love doing bead work. I make lots of necklaces, bracelets & earrings with my Sister-n-law.

Rian said...

That description brought a tear to my eye, too. What a lovely young man.

Cathie said...

So glad I stumbled on your blog. Very pertinent - coming from a mother of a 19 year old, here.
Love your work, too. Sounds like life has been very kind to you.

Jane Ann said...

I'm struck by the bittersweetness of your son's departure and the joyful beadwork you've done.

Been there with the first-born leaving town. I cried my eyes out the ENTIRE 6 hours home from Auburn when I took her off to college. If it's any consequence, she returned (from living in Atlanta, London, and Los Angeles/Malibu) after 14 years. I never thought I'd have her so nearby again. There's that "box o' chocolates" again ...

Corie said...

Oh, the airport scene even had me feeling a lil weepy.
Hope you are doing well!!!

Granny Fran said...

BLess your heart, it is so hard to wave goodbye to them. You raise them to become independent adults, and darned if they don't. Your beading on that exquisite fabric is scrumptious! A needle with a collapsing eye!?! I need to see what that would be like.