Wednesday, October 25, 2017

History of houses

When Hunnybunny and I got married, we moved into my two bedroom bungalow in Chattanooga.

It was built in 1958 and I think we paid 31K for it back in 1988, (that is, my ex-husband and I). Fast forward to 1998 when I got divorced: I kept the house with my two boys in it. I was barely getting by on my shipping clerk job at a ministry. Two bedrooms, galley kitchen, no heat source, an AC unit in the wal from 1969- you get the picture. The best thing it had to offer were the two 50 year old maple trees in the front yard. That made it pretty in the fall.
After Hunnybunny and I married in 2002, he moved into the bungalow with us. Crowded to say the least, but it was doable. 

 We added to our family in that house with the birth of The Dyl Pickle. But, life happens: Hunnybunny's job with the local FOX station ended, and we packed it up to move to Kentucky for his new gig. In television, you don't buy the house. So, for about 9 years, we rented this one. And we loved it! 1200 square feet, Hickory tree in the yard this time, and a less than perfect back yard, (all up hill). Finding we needed more room, we went on the hunt for another rental. Hunnybunny was now completely out of television, and I had recently become a nurse.
We find this gem 2 blocks away:1898 square feet! Oak tree in the front yard, super nice landlord, good neighborhood, good schools. And we stayed for 4 years. Hunnybunny was now in sales, working from home. I was still at the hospital I started at, The Dyl Pickle had gone through elementary school, middle school, and this year, had become a freshman. But we had always dreamed of having our own home. Now that moving out of Kentucky was off the table, we began house hunting. No easy feat as we were trying to stay within the high school district of Pickle. We met a wonderful young lady at an open house who was a buyer's real estate agent. She showed us a lot of houses, but we had found this one house in our neighborhood that we had visited the same day we met her: 1710 square feet.
It comes with a large kitchen, (yellow, so it will definitely needed new paint!) granite countertops, private backyard with lots of mature trees, deck, on a cul-de-sac that was within a cul-de-sac, so very little street traffic, and, of course, a tree in the front yard. I have been unable to determine what kind of tree.   So, we are moving here, and it's ours. This is Hunnybunny's first time as a homeowner. The Legal Adult has been helping me while Hunnybunny has been on the road. It's a split foyer, built in 1990.  4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, (they made the downstairs den a bedroom, so the Pickle is loving that he has his own bathroom.
I will keep you posted on improvements, because there will be a few.                                                                                                                           

No comments: