Saturday, January 26, 2008

Getting my ducks in a row

This January has been interesting. Instead of doing the annual resolution route, I have had a new approach. And I didn't even read about it online! I decided to really search inwardly to figure out and do what was important to me. Even though I didn't use a standard, "Hey, buy my program online! It will change your life!" idea, I still feel like I have needed to make some serious changes....for nobody else but me. So, I've been looking at my spiritual, physical, financial, and social life. In doing so, I'm amazed at the clutter I've had around me for so long. My mother was an infamous pack rat when it came to saving bills, papers, etc. I'm guessing that's where it started for me. Last weekend, Hunnybunny and I spent 3 hours cleaning out our file cabinet! It's no wonder we couldn't ever find any paperwork...I still had my tax return from 1984! I felt like we weren't going to have anything in the cabinet afterwards, but it slowly began to fill up with CURRENT paperwork. We even started our tax returns this week, which is way ahead of the game for us.
As far as the physical goes, I've been going to the gym a couple of days a week. Also, I have to ask: any of you watch Gillian McKeith on BBC America's "You Are What You Eat"? Well, if you get the chance, she's worth watching. She's a holistic nutritionist who makes people look at their diet and wonder why the heck they're feeling so poorly. (Just a caveat: she's really into what people's bowels emit, so if you have a weak stomach, don't watch.)
The next thing of any consequence for me is spiritual. I miss doing a bible study. Hunnybunny and I worked at a ministry long ago and we were in an in dept bible study all the time. It's time I found another one.
Socially? Well, that might be the hardest. I have little kids to take care of as part of my job and my day doesn't end until late. But I need to get out of the house and hang out with the girls. I feel like I'm swimming in testosterone most of the time.
I also need to make time to quilt. In the evening would be the most opportune time, but I make too many excuses like, "I'm tired", or, "I just don't feel like it." Actually, it's kind of like getting up for the day. Once you get up, you're fine. Well, once I get working on stuff, I'm fine, too.
Anyway, that's what I've been up to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound great, Beth. Making resolutions is just setting myself up for failure, and I think you've got the right idea by looking backward. I often find I'm off-track in some area without even realizing it's happened.

Deborah M. said...

I agree. My intentions are alwasy good but rarely executed. I tried the looking inward thing too. I think it works better than setting unrealistic goals. I watch the nutrition program when I'm home -- find it interesting it comes right after the cleaning ladies! Neither for the weak of stomach! She makes you think, tho, doesn't she, about what you are eating? Even my daughters have sworn off the fast food after watching a couple of episodes of You Are What You eat!

Leanne said...

Good for you. I just met with a nutritionist and she was really interested in my bowel movements too. Weird.

Good for you for taking care of yourself.

I gotta try this. Soon.

Samantha said...

Sounds like the upcoming year will be great for you. I applaud this type of resolution- I always fail at the traditional types. Good luck with finding girl time for you- that's one of MY goals for this year too.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the pursuit of better nutrition and fitness.

Wish we lived closer. I'd love to join you at a chick flick!

K.