Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

I remember that song growing up in Florida, and had absolutely NO REFERENCE. What's so wondrous about walking outside in shorts in January? But since I've moved North of the Mason-Dixon line, I have definitely been educated.


I won't bore you with too many pictures, but if you're my family, check out my flickr.com box to the right. We took allot of pics and for all the dangerousness of it all, it's still very beautiful. Grandma Kim, you should've stayed. You'd of gotten your snowstorm.








I am amazed that this old hickory tree hasn't come down with all the ice and snow on it. And when I heard the word "historic" referring to this storm, I cringed. Seems like since 2004 I have been through a few "historic" storms in this region. When we were moving, like in the moving van, we were speeding our way to a line of twisters without knowing. That same winter, the biggest icestorm on record. Grandma Hunnybunny will never let me live that one down. She comes to see us, and we are trapped in the house.

Well, Kentucky's still nice, just nice and cold. And having four seasons is pretty cool, too. You just have to take the good with the bad. The springs here in Kentucky are glorious, and summers aren't the scorchers I've lived through in Tennessee and North Florida. When the weatherman says it's "gonna be a scorcher" at 87 degrees, I just smile. Everybody has their point of reference, I guess.

Editor's Note: My college buddy, Sandy, mentioned that I was geographically challenged. And she's right. For some reason, I always thought the Mason-Dixon line was a little south of here. I guess my confusion came in when I started going to restaurants in this area that didn't serve cooked grits or sweet tea on the menu. I just assumed I had crossed the line.;)

4 comments:

Dr.John said...

Not as much snow as we have in Wisconsin but pretty.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, I know that you've moved far away from your Florida roots, but your geography is a little off.
The Mason-Dixon Line is the border between southern Pennsylvania and northern Maryland.

I remember the first time (or one of the first times) you saw snow in college. That was quite a sight for you Florida girls, wasn't it?!

San

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Lol* I remember a few years ago, it snowed in LA, and it made national news. On tv we saw the lightest dusting of snow on those California highways, and cars spinnig out in every direction! LOL**** What would they do in our ten inches??? Lol* But also, I forget, the speed limits there are something like, 75-80 mph on the freeways, as opposed to our 65. You get tornadoes down there though, and girl you have guts to brave them! We don't get them much here 'cause we live so close to Lake Erie, but the snow, we get. :)

Karlene said...

I love the snow & snuggle a quilt while binding it...Love your blog and Happy Quilting ...Karlene