Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rude People


My mother told me that my first words were not, "Mama" and "Daddy". They were "Yes, Ma'am". My mother did her best to teach us that it takes just as much time to be polite as to be rude. When I lived in Florida, everyone used the terms, "Yes, Sir,", "No, Sir" and it seemed like a great lesson in respect. During these times, even though most people don't make their kids, I make mine still say it. The Legal Adult can tell you even though his appearance is tatted and pierced, when he speaks, he still uses these forms of respect. Hollywood has to be reminded from time to time. If I've angered him, he's even tried to call me, "Beth" before, which I think is pretty funny. (Seriously, is that the best he can do?)

Today, I was reminded of why it's important to teach your children respect. I apparently got in the wrong lane to pick up the Pickle at his elementary school. A very angry mother got out of her SUV and walked across the street to where I was. She tapped on my window. I thought, "Is my radiator leaking?"

"If you're going to pick up your child, you're going to have to get in this line here because nobody is going to let you in. We have been waiting 20 minutes." For once, I think I was God-smacked. The human being inside of me wanted to say something just as rude back. But I didn't. I just put my window up. While I wasn't right in being in the "cheaters lane", it just seemed to me that she was going to make someone pay for her very bad day. In case you're still reading, I did move out of the way. Today was one of those times that I like my dog so much better than people.

2 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I had a similiar situation at the dry cleaners window and I just told the woman that she could either pull up or wait until I got my dry cleaning, because, "No, I wasn't moving my car so she could leave". She hollers at me, "You are the rudest person I have ever met!" oh, give me a break! She was the one who had blocked the driveway with her car.

Then later that week Wes tells me this woman in the grocery store parking lot pushes a cart towards the cart corral and hits a person's car in the process. He says to her, "Hey, would you want someone to do that to your car?" and she looks at him and says, "I don't care about this car!" and then gets in her Lexus.

Excuse me. Some people.

Quilter In Paradise said...

I just love your blog...! I can't tell you about the rude people I run across,, I work in customer service.. you wouldn't believe the things people do...

The Other Beth... in Dallas